Ultimate Bean Soup
This is a much more ‘homey’ soup than my green soup but it is still quite healthy. At least until I start turning it into other things that is!
I use McKenzies Italian Style Soup Mix however it can be sub’d with any mixture of 1 3rd beans, 1 3rd lentils and 1 3rd mixed split peas and barley.
- 1 375g pack McKenzies Italian Style Soup Mix (or 2 cups dried beans, lentils and split peas).
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (or 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes).
- 4 tsps vegan chicken style stock powder or other stock concentrate equivalent to at least 1 litre of stock.
- About 400g Mirepoix – usually this means equal parts diced celery, carrot and onion (I add leak if I make my own) which you can prep and freeze or it is sold as Ready to Cook Vegetable Mix at Woolworths in Australia and it is normally sold frozen or fresh anywhere that French cooking is common.
- 3 to 6 cloves garlic OR 2 tsps of garlic paste OR all cloves from a whole roasted garlic (peeled).
- 1 small cube of ginger minced OR 1 tsp of ginger paste.
- Herbs and spices to taste – I usually use a tsp of dried mixed herbs, a big pinch of smoked paprika, a bay leaf, a sprig of fresh rosemary, a sprinkling of onion or garlic salt, lots of cracked pepper. If I have it fresh I will add diced sage or coriander (aka cilantro) but neither of these dry, and sometimes a pinch of dried marjoram too.
It is then as easy as adding everything to the slow cooker (aka crock-pot) and topping it up to the max line with water (I use the tin for the tomatoes to add it and it is normally around 3 to 4 tins of water) , stir well, cook for 6 to 8 hours. I often put this on before going to work.
Variant options for turning leftover soup into fritters or bean loaf can be found here.